Monday, October 12, 2009

The Pitfalls of Self-Love

Self-love never dies but when we die; it has a thousand means of concealment in our soul, so that we cannot dislodge it. It is the eldest-born of the soul, it is natural to us. It heads a battalion of rifles, with dreadful mutinies, stratagems, passions. Nothing can be more adroit; it has a thousand quick evolutions. ~from The Consoling Thoughts of St. Francis de Sales

But you, God of mercy and compassion, slow to anger, O Lord, abounding in love and truth, turn and take pity on me. Ps 86(85):15-16
As moderator of an online discussion group on Salesian spirituality, I post "Salesian Seeds" daily to our cyberspace spiritual family. Today I posted the above seeds with this added note: "Dear Friends, after reading the above passage from St. Francis de Sales this morning, that succinct prayer of our Salesian sister St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, whose feast we celebrate later this week on October 16, came to my mind: 'O Heart of Love, I place all my trust in Thee, for I fear all things from my own weakness, but I hope for all things from Thy goodness.' Blessed be our good Jesus, so rich in love and mercy!

No comments:

Post a Comment