Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thoughts of benediction...

O how worthy of love is this great God who out of his infinite goodness has given his own Son for the redemption of all men. Yes, truly, for all men in general but for me in particular, who am the chief of sinners! Ah, he has loved me! I say he has loved even me, even me myself, I say, such as I am, and has delivered himself to his passion for me.

O God, what love can we have sufficiently worthy of the infinite goodness of our Creator, who from all eternity has determined to create, preserve, govern, redeem, save, and glorify all men in general and each man in particular? Ah, what was I when I was not? What was I, I who even now when I am something am still only a mere, pitiful worm of the earth? Yet from the depths of his eternity God thought thoughts of benediction in my behalf. He meditated and planned, yes, determined, the hour of my birth, of my baptism, of all the inspirations he would give me, and in sum, of all the benefits he would do me and offer to me. Ah, is there kindness like to such kindness?

~St. Francis de Sales, Treatise on the Love of God (Bk 12, Ch 12)

Thank you, dearest Lord, that Your kindness is everlasting, that Your love endures forever. Let my soul live to praise You! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment