Monday, October 19, 2009

Old and New

"Old and New" by Ann L. Krumrein
This ethereal image that my sister Annie captured recently has been sitting on my prayer altar since she sent it to me. It reminds me of St. Paul's letter to the Philippians where he says that one thing he does is, "forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Phil 3:13-14). Today I am especially thinking of and praying with this passage (Phil 3:7-16) because it's my birthday, a time I like to use to assess with gratitude and repentance the past year and to spiritually prepare for the new one opening up before me. I find that life can often be murky for, as St. Paul readily admits, "we see through a glass, darkly" (1 Cor 13:12). Yet the light of faith reveals to me the knowledge of Christ and the power of His resurrection, so that my sharing in His sufferings do not overwhelm me but become a source of joy as I am being conformed to His death (Phil 3:10-11).

Psalm 139 is also my special prayer and meditation today as I praise and thank God for His astounding, everlasting love for me. The Grail Psalter entitles this psalm "The Hound of Heaven," and I am so happy that God has always hounded me and continues to do so. He never leaves me high and dry, even when I've brought such misery upon myself. Sometimes I get stuck in the murkiness of life and either can't find my way out or just prefer to stay there and wallow, but for Him, even darkness is not dark and the night shines as the day (vs 12). God, who truly knows my heart and its deepest desires, lovingly keeps me from following the crooked way and leads me in the path of life eternal (vs 23-24). Truly, "I praise you for you are fearful and wonderful. Wonderful are your works!" (vs 14)

Thank you, so kind and gracious Lord, for the joy of birthdays, the wonder of my being, and the glory of YOU! Amen. Alleluia!

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful your blog is! I found it by accident [well maybe the Lord helped]. I am enjoying it very much:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mary! I keep forgetting to check for comments so just found yours now. I read your bio and we have some things in common as I also love to pray the rosary and the Divine Mercy chaplet. I look forward to reading your blogs later today. May our dear Lord bless you richly and abundantly!

    ReplyDelete