Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Today's Saint: St. Clare

Clare is the passionate lover of the poor, crucified Christ, with whom she wants to identify absolutely…

In reality Clare's whole life was a eucharist because, like Francis, from her cloister she raised up a continual "thanksgiving" to God in her prayer, praise, supplication, intercession, weeping, offering and sacrifice. She accepted everything and offered it to the Father in union with the infinite "thanks" of the only-begotten Son, the Child, the Crucified, the risen One, who lives at the right hand of the Father.

Pope John Paul II, Letter for the Eighth Centenary
of the Birth of Saint Clare of Assisi, 9/11/93

Today is the feast of St. Clare, and so it is my feast day because my dear parents named me "Alice Claire," making this wise and passionate woman my patron saint. St. Clare has led me in the life of prayer and contemplation for as long as I can remember, and she has also led me to the life of consecrated virginity. Most and best of all, she has led me to our Christ, our Crucified and Risen Lord and Savior. Thank you, dear Jesus, for the gift of St. Clare to me and to the church. May she help us to become a eucharist as she was, for the life and salvation of the whole world. Amen.

"Go forth in peace, for you have followed the good road. Go forth without fear, for he who created you has made you holy, has always protected you, and loves you as a mother. Blessed be you, my God, for having created me. " ~Saint Clare of Assisi

No comments:

Post a Comment