Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mortification According to St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus

I just finished re-reading Storm of Glory, John Beevers' biography of St. Thérèse of Lisieux. This book was first published in 1949, and, in my opinion, it remains one of the best books out there on the Little Flower and her spiritual childhood.

Beevers quotes St. Thérèse's explanation of what she means by a mortified life: "I made my mortifications consist simply in checking my self-will, keeping back an impatient answer, rending a small service in a quiet way, and a hundred other similar things."

St. Thérèse was a mere child when she so mortified herself. Already she had learned what many of us never get – that the little things are of inestimable value in the eyes of God. And when we accept them and do them with love for the Lord alone, nothing could be more pleasing to Him.

Dear St. Thérèse, teach me anew your way of spiritual childhood. Teach me to seek out those little things, to revel in and be content with them. Teach me to rest in Jesus' love as you did, confident that He will not abandon me, even and especially in my trials. Help me to live as you did so that when I die, I might be able to say what you declared on your deathbed: "I do not regret having abandoned myself to love." Amen.

P.S. The above picture is of the Little Flower when she was about 4 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment