Tuesday, April 7, 2009

His Will is Truth and Love

In his homily for Palm Sunday this past weekend, Pope Benedict XVI spoke about Jesus' prayer in the Garden of Olives as it appears in the gospel of St. John.


There is first of all the statement, "My soul is troubled" (12:27). Here Jesus' fear appears, which is amply illustrated by the other evangelists -- his fear in the face of the power of death, in the face of the entire abyss of evil that he sees and into which he must descend. The Lord suffers our anxieties together with us, he accompanies us in the last anxiety until we come to the light. Then there follow, in John, Jesus' two questions. The first is only expressed conditionally: "What will I say, 'Father, save me from this hour?'" (12:27). As a human being, Jesus also felt driven to ask that he be spared the terror of the passion. We too can pray in this way. We too can lament before the Lord like Job, present all our questions that arise in us in the face of the injustice in the world and the problems affect us personally. Before God we must not take refuge in pious phrases, in a world of make-believe. Praying also means struggling with God, and like Jacob we can say to him: "I will not let you go until you have given me a blessing!" (Genesis 32:37). But then there is Jesus' second request: "Glorify your name!" (John 12:28). The Synoptic Gospels put this request in this way: "Not my will but your will be done!" (Luke 22:42). In the end, God's glory, his lordship, his will is always more important and more true than my thoughts and my will. And this is what is essential in our prayer and in our life: understanding this right order of reality, accepting it interiorly; trusting in God and believing that he is doing the right thing; understanding that his will is the truth and is love; understanding that my life will be a good life if I can learn how to conform to this order. The life, death and resurrection of Jesus are the guarantee that we can truly entrust ourselves to God. It is in this way that his kingdom is realized.


"His will is the truth and is love," the Holy Father states. When I think otherwise, it's usually because I'm caught up in my own small world where my ego runs amok, causing me to be focused on myself, obsessed with my agenda, and convinced that I know what's best for others and myself. But when I look beyond myself and lift up my eyes to the holy hill of Calvary, where Truth and Love were crucified, then I find my Beloved Jesus, who enables me to pray with him, in glad and confident surrender: "Father, glorify your name!" (Jn. 12:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment