Thursday, April 30, 2009

See how the waters close about me!

Given the torrential thunderstorms and widespread flooding we experienced in Houston, TX this week, Psalm 68 has been a frequent prayer of mine. The following verses are from the translation by Ronald Knox.

O God, save me; see how the waters close about me, shoulder-high! I am like one who sticks fast in deep mire, with no ground under his feet, who has ventured out into mid-ocean, to be drowned by the storm.

Listen to me, O God, full of mercy as thou art, faithful as thou art to thy promise of aid. Save me from sinking in the mire, rescue me from my enemies, from the deep waters that surround me; let me not sink under the flood, swallowed up in its depths, and the well's mouth close above me.

Listen to me, Lord, of thy gracious mercy, look down upon me in the abundance of thy pity; do not turn thy face away from thy servant in this time of trouble, give a speedy answer to my prayer. Draw near in my distress and grant deliverance; relieve me, so hard pressed by my enemies.

Let thy help, O God, sustain me. I will sing in praise of God's name, herald it gratefully...

The Lord listens to the prayer of the destitute; he does not forget his servants in their chains.

No comments:

Post a Comment