Monday, March 16, 2009

Litany of Humility by Cardinal Merry del Val

This powerful prayer has been part of my spiritual survival kit for many years now. I do not find this an easy one to pray because, if I pray it honestly, it exposes the wretchedness of my heart and shows me how proud I really am. Recently I told my spiritual father that I've been praying this litany a lot lately but have a bit of trouble when I come to the last third of the prayer, which begins with "that others may be loved more than I." The reason, I explained to him, is because sometimes I don't even have the desire to be asking for the grace to desire that these things may come about. His advice to me, wise as always, was short and simple: "Keep on praying it!" And so I am – and happily so! Come, Spirit of Jesus, pray within me and make up for all that I lack as only You can do!
O Jesus! meek and humble of heart...hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed...deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved...deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being extolled...deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being honored...deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being praised...deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being preferred to others...deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being consulted...deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being approved...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being humiliated...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being despised...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of suffering rebukes...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being calumniated...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being forgotten...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being ridiculed...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being wronged...deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being suspected...deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That in the opinion of the world others may increase and I may decrease...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be chosen and I set aside...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be praised and I unnoticed...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be preferred to me in everything...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

No comments:

Post a Comment