Friday, January 25, 2013

"the most ordinary, the most lowly"

"How do I dare to dream of lighting hearths, I, who have in my hands nothing but a poor stick of damp, green wood and some dying embers?  I, who fail to do even good and ordinary things, how could I ever do extraordinary ones?

"My child, what is important is not the poverty of what thou holdest in thy hands.  It is to approach the true hearth, the only hearth, which is My Heart, with what little thou hast.  Then thy dying embers will glow again and the green wood become dry.  Thou thinkest there is almost nothing thou canst do; then try to do this almost nothing in an extraordinary way.  I do not say in a spectacular way.  Concentrate thyself on the most ordinary, the most lowly.  But do the ordinary things in an extraordinary way, that is, do them lovingly -- with an extraordinary Love.  Then the spark will blaze.  Then the fire will 'take.'  Then the fire will take 'thee'.  Then thou wilt begin to be a bearer of the Fire."

~from In Thy Presence by Fr. Lev Gillet

Dear Lord Jesus, thank You for giving me Your love, with which I can do "the ordinary things in an extraordinary way."  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment