Tuesday, January 29, 2013

St. Francis de Sales on the presence of God

"If I am not mistaken, however, when we say that we cannot find God, and that He seems so far away, we only mean that we cannot feel His presence.  I have before observed that many people do not distinguish between God and the feeling of God, between faith and the feeling of faith -- which is a very great defect....  There is a difference between possessing the presence of God (I mean being in His presence) and having the feeling of His presence.  God alone can give us the latter; as to my giving you the means of acquiring this sentiment, it is an impossibility."  ~from The Spiritual Conferences of St. Francis de Sales

Nevertheless I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand....
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing upon earth
that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion for ever.
~Psalm 73(74):23, 25-26

No comments:

Post a Comment