Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Morning Prayer

Morning Prayer by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

O God, early in the morning I cry to you.
Help me to pray
And to concentrate my thoughts on you:
I cannot do this alone.
In me there is darkness,
But with you there is light;
I am lonely, but you do not leave me;
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help;
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you there is patience;
I do not understand your ways,
But you know the way for me…
Restore me to liberty,
And enable me to live now
That I may answer before you and before me.
Lord, whatever this day may bring,
Your name be praised.
Amen.


Ave Maria!  Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote the above for his fellow inmates while  he was incarcerated in a Nazi prison awaiting his death.  Today I pray this prayer for all of us who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, begging that, through the tender mercy of our God, the light from on high will indeed shine upon us and guide our feet into the way of peace (Luke 1:78-79).  Come quickly, Lord, and do not delay!

...even darkness is not dark to you,
the night shall be as bright as day,
and darkness the same as the light.
~Psalm 139:12

No comments:

Post a Comment