Saturday, December 1, 2012

An Examination of Conscience for the Year of Faith

Ave Maria!  Today, Dec 1, is the last day of this church year.  Tomorrow, the First Sunday of Advent, we begin our new year.  Actually, the official beginning comes with this evening's celebration of Vespers.  What better way to end the old and start the new than a good examination of conscience, to be followed up with loving and generous resolutions to be more faithful to our Lord who calls us out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9)?  Advent is a prime time to move from darkness into light as we seek anew Him who is the true light which enlightens everyone (John 1:9).  

In the Magnificat Year of Faith Companion, which has already been reprinted once and is currently sold out, the reflection for November 26 was an "examination of conscience  according to faith" by the well-known Dominican, Fr. Peter John Cameron.  Father Cameron is the editor of Magnificat, and through his spiritual writings, he always feeds my soul and challenges my complacency.  As you read the following, you will see why. 

Today and always, may the light of Christ shine its healing rays on the darkness in our hearts and lead us to peace and reconciliation with Him!


AN EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE ACCORDING TO FAITH
by Father Peter John Cameron, O.P.

Have I been true to my faith through diligent prayer, reception of the sacraments, and works of mercy?

Do I frequently call on the holy name of Jesus and make fervent acts of faith?

Have I omitted to nourish and protect my faith?

Do I constantly renew my faith through acts of self-surrender, holy dependence on God, and humility?

Do I trust in divine providence even amidst hardships?

Have I committed voluntary doubt by disregarding or refusing to hold as true what God has revealed and the church proposes for belief?

Have I deliberately cultivated hesitation in believing what the Catholic faith teaches?

Have I shied away from the difficulty in overcoming objections connected with the faith?

Have I let the anxiety aroused by faith’s obscurity overwhelm me?

Have I committed the sin of incredulity by neglecting a revealed truth of the faith or willfully refusing to assent to it?

Do the actual preferences of my life betray a lack of faith?

Have I made compromises that contradict faith?

Have I been a zealous witness to the faith, withstanding fear or shame?

Am I grateful to those who led me to my faith and who help sustain my faith?

Do I truly live by faith, or do I let my emotions, my ideas, my feelings, or my passions predominate?

Is God the center and main priority of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment