Monday, June 11, 2012

The enemy of true joy

Be available and generous to others, overcoming the temptation to focus on yourselves, because selfishness is the enemy of true joy.  ~Pope Benedict VXI

Ave Maria!  As you may have noticed, my blog posts have been sporadic since my mishap in February when I broke my collarbone.  My recovery has been a bit bumpy, and now, four months later, my fracture is still not completely healed. It's time for me to get it fixed up, which will happen this Wednesday, June 13, when my orthopedist will do arthroscopic surgery to remove some floating bone fragments.  He's hopeful that this will take care of things and that after about eight weeks of recovery I'll be back to my regular routine.  Since I'll be wearing a sling for at least 3-4 weeks immediately following my operation, I'll most likely not be posting to my blog for a while.  I do ask that you say a little prayer for me that God's will be done and that I cooperate as fully and as gladly as possible.  Please be assured of my love and prayers for you and yours, especially that we may come to know the true and full joy of dear and blessed Lord Jesus Christ. 

These things I have spoken to you,
that my joy may be in you,
and your joy may be filled.
~John 15:11

P.S.  When we live "the vine life" that our Lord lays out for us in John 15:1-11 -- that is, when we allow the Divine Husbandman to prune us, when we do as He commands us, when we lay down our lives for each other, when we abide in His Sacred Heart so full of love and mercy, when we let His living words abide in us and make their home within our hearts, when we bear fruit for the Father's glory -- then indeed will our joy be full, "good measure and pressed down and shaken together and running over" (Lk 6:38).  Deo gratias!  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment