Saturday, June 16, 2012

"Preserve in me the heart of a child..."

In our eagerness to embellish, we only distort.  ~St. Bernadette Soubirous

Ave Maria!  And to think that these words come from St. Bernadette, the poor, peasant girl of Lourdes, the 14-year-old miller's daughter, to whom the Blessed Mother appeared several times and revealed herself as the Immaculate Conception!  I think that if I ever had even just one fleeting vision of Our Lady, I would be sorely tempted to embellish that experience and tell it a million times over for the rest of my life.  But no, with the simplicity of a true child of God, St. Bernadette wisely chose differently.  Dear Lord, grant me such wisdom and simplicity!

"From the mouths of children and of babes
you fashioned praise to foil your enemy,
to silence the foe and the rebel." 
~Psalm 8:3

No comments:

Post a Comment