Friday, March 16, 2012

"Take with you words."

Take with you words.  ~Hosea 14:2

Ave Maria! What words will I take with me this day as I rise and greet the Dawn From On High? Will I exult, "Good morning, Lord!", or will I mutter, "Good Lord, it's morning!"? Will I join the psalmist in singing of God's strength and extolling His mercy because He is “my support, and my refuge" (Psalm 59:16) or will I start counting my aches and pains, afflictions and troubles, and defeatedly crawl back under the covers? Will I rejoice and be glad in this day which my Lord has made (Ps 118:24) or will I anticipate the future with consternation? Will I entrust absolutely everything to God and His infinite love and wisdom, confident that His "goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life" (Ps 23:6), or will I fret the hours away in dismal foreboding? Will I hope in God, "the salvation of my countenance," and "still give praise to Him," or will I trust in myself and be sad and disquieted (Ps 43:5)? Will I sing a new song to the Lord, the one He Himself has put into my mouth, praise of our God (Ps 40:4), or will I stay stuck on myself and whine, "Woe is me!"?

The words I take with me today will have a huge impact on me over the next 24 hours. They will also affect others, for better or for worse, for they are the words that I will bring to them. Will my words give them hope and happiness, will they be a healing balm for them, will they encourage and uplift them? Will they be words of spirit and life (Jn 6:63)? Will they be life-giving or death-dealing? Will they build up or tear down? Will they be loving words, full of patience and kindness (1 Cor 13:4), or will they be hateful words and destructive, critical, spiteful, and angry?

As always, the choice is mine. As always, God gives me His abundant grace to make good and wise choices.

O Jesus, precious and almighty Word of God, may I take You with me today for You are the only Word worthy of my undivided attention and devoted love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment