Monday, January 16, 2012

Those Who Challenge Us

Bless those who challenge us for they remind us of doors we have closed and doors we have yet to open. ~Native American Prayer

Ave Maria!  This little prayer made me smile today when it appeared in my email box.  I immediately thought of various people in my life who sometimes challenge me -- individuals such as my sweet sister Annie, my spiritual father, a small group of older women whom I lovingly call "my elders," and a few special girlfriends who are truly my soul sisters.  I welcome their challenges, which for me are an invitation to clarify my thoughts, beliefs and actions as well as a summons to "come up higher, my friend" (Luke 14:10).  Because I know that these challenges are born of love, I need not be afraid.  I can and do trust these dear friends of mine -- and, yes, I bless them and thank God for them with all my heart for they are His precious gift to me.  Alleluia!

P.S.  Of course, not everyone who challenges us does so out of love.  Perhaps I'll write about them later...!

No comments:

Post a Comment