Monday, January 30, 2012

Corrections and Admonitions

A true sign that one loves the virtue he is striving to acquire is to appreciate the corrections and admonitions received for the defects committed against this virtue. This is a great indication of advancing toward perfection. – St. Francis de Sales

Ave Maria!  What a gift it is to have people in our lives who correct and admonish us!  They are my true friends who point out to me my faults, especially those weaknesses of mine that I so blithely ignore or proudly deny.  With an honesty born of love, they help me to keep growing in the ways of our Lord and in the true freedom of the children of God.  Admittedly, sometimes I don't want to hear what these companions of  mine have to say, but I know that I can trust them because they also are striving for holiness and wholeness.  Through their kindness to me, my shortcomings become stepping stones rather than stumbling blocks as together we advance in God's grace and glory.  Thanks be to God!
Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head. ~Psalm 141:5

No comments:

Post a Comment