Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Holiness: "an ordinary -- not exceptional -- word"

It is necessary to make the term "holiness" an ordinary -- not exceptional -- word, which does not designate only heroic states of Christian life, but which indicates in the reality of every day, a decisive answer and an openness to the action of the Holy Spirit. ~Pope Benedict XVI, Message to 14th General Assembly of Italian Catholic Action, May 6-8, 2011

Ave Maria! Oh, the wisdom of our dear Holy Father! Once again, he is right on target. Holiness is so within our reach! Think about it. Why would God ask anything of me that is not possible? He who says "You shall be holy, for I am holy" (1 Peter 1:16), this loving, gracious God of ours gives me both the occasions and the means for holiness -- right here, right now!

Just look! The inclement weather, the aching joints, the daily grind, the pushy neighbor, the beautiful sky, the lovely flower, the loving friend, the daily Word and Sacrament -- all these things and so many others in my seemingly humdrum, everyday life are shining opportunities for holiness, for me to love God, to serve Him and adore Him, simply yet magnificently for His praise and glory. Oh, that I may not fail to see them, that I may never pass them by!

And the means for holiness? Oh, yes, they are there, too, and in such abundance, for from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace (John 1:16). These graces are endless! I thank God for each and every one -- the graces He gave me in the sacrament of Baptism, the graces He continues to give me in the sacraments of the church, and all the many graces He lavishes upon me day by day, moment by moment. These are what enable me to keep on making that decisive answer in openness to the Holy Spirit, who forever hovers over the world "with ah! bright wings" (G. M. Hopkins). Perhaps this is what heroism and holiness are all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment