Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Being Friends of the Lord

Today at Mass, this Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Easter, our response to the Word of God is "Your friends make known, O Lord, the glorious splendor of your kingdom." (Ps 145:10-11, 12-13ab, 21)

Do I really do this, day after day, 24/7, in good times and bad, whether happy or sad? Steadfastly, gladly, with gratitude, faith and love?

Does how I live announce that I am a friend of our Lord, who told us, "You are my friends if you do what I command you" (Jn 15:14)?

Do my interactions with family and friends, co-workers and parish community, neighbors and strangers, reveal Jesus, who is gentle and humble of heart (Mt 11:29)?

Does what I say and think about all these people indicate that they are precious to God, who lovingly made each one in His image and likeness?

Does how I spend my time, energy and talents proclaim that nothing is worth more than the Kingdom of Christ, His "eternal and universal kingdom: a kingdom of truth and life, a kingdom of holiness and grace, a kingdom of justice, love, and peace" (Preface of Christ the King)?

And when I fail, which I do often enough, does my repentance prove that our Lord is indeed "merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love" (Ps 103:8)?

Dear Jesus, thank you for being "the best and most faithful of friends" (Imitation of Christ, Bk 2, Ch 8). Today I beg you, for myself and for all of us, help us to become better friends of YOU! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment