Tuesday, February 24, 2009

SIN AND CONFESSION

Yes, I do believe in sin -- and also in confession. Every sin, no matter how small, distances me from God and from my brothers and sisters. I cannot overcome sin alone -- and I don't have to, thanks be to God, who gives us such a powerful and loving remedy in sacramental confession. People run to therapists to spill their guts, they write endless blogs telling us more than we'd ever want to know, they read People magazine and the like to discover that everyone else has their dark side -- and to what avail? I turn to sacramental confession and find true forgiveness, deep healing, renewed strength, and utter joy because there I find our crucified and risen Lord who loves me unconditionally, forever and ever. Truly, I am not worthy -- but oh, I am so very grateful! AMEN!

"The sins we commit distance us from God, and, if they are not humbly confessed, trusting in the divine mercy, they will finally bring about the death of the soul. This miracle thus has powerful symbolic value.

"In the Sacrament of Penance Christ crucified and risen, through his ministers, purifies us with his infinite mercy, restores us to communion with the heavenly Father and our brothers, and makes a gift of his love, joy and peace to us."

Pope Benedict XVI, Angelus Message of 2/15/09

No comments:

Post a Comment