Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lenten Practices

When I was a child, my standard Lenten practice was to give up eating sweets and watching Mickey Mouse on TV. When I reached adolescence and my religious fervor peaked, I abstained from watching two television shows, Ben Casey and The Man From UNCLE. For me this was a real mortification because it meant not only missing my favorite TV programs but also being left out of the endless discussions that followed the next day at school.

Although sacrifice and mortification aren't touted as highly these days, I still highly value them. St. Paul reminds us that Christ Jesus, even though He was God, emptied Himself. Such self-emptying involves infinitely more than giving up sweets and shows. Nevertheless, self-denial remains a meaningful way for me to empty myself, and it tills the soil of my heart and soul for the ever greater emptying that only our Crucified Lord can accomplish with me.

Many years have passed since my early Lenten practices. I've since happily and gratefully learned to use well those ordinary, unobtrusive opportunities for self-denial that are built into our everyday lives. For example, I can forgo being critical and judgmental of other people and choose to be understanding and accepting of their human weaknesses and shortcomings, which are not unlike my own! I can curb my impulse to refashion other people in my image and likeness and aim to affirm their uniqueness and beauty…or refrain from gossiping and opt to speak kindly about others…or let go of grudges and instead forgive those who have hurt me, intentionally or unintentionally.

Further possibilities for self-denial abound in my daily life. I can put aside my pride and honestly admit the error of my ways. I can surrender my desire to be in control and open myself up to our Father's adorable will. I can release my fears and anxieties and trust our gracious God to provide for all my needs. I can stop complaining and magnify the good, praising the Lord for His goodness, love and mercy.

These are all little practices, to be sure, but perhaps all the more precious in God's eyes because they are small and hidden, as our Blessed Lord was in the tomb. Let us spend some time with Him there this Lent so that we may share more fully the wondrous new life of His Resurrection. Blessed be Jesus Christ, who loves us so!

P.S. Yes, I will give up sweets this Lent, along with diet Dr. Pepper and honey wheat pretzel braids, my regular afternoon snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment