Friday, June 24, 2016

Nativity of St. John the Baptist


For behold, when the voice of your greeting came to my ears, the babe in my womb leaped for joy.  ~Luke 1:44

St. John The Baptist As A Child by Bartolome Esteban Murillo
We must therefore confess that we are a work of mercy:  our sacrifice is Eucharistic, a sacrifice of thanksgiving.  This was the sacrifice offered by St. John [the Baptist].  In leaping for joy, he gave thanks to the Liberator.  If the Liberator caused John to leap for joy by means of his presence alone, what will it be like in heaven when we shall see him face-to-face?  John was in his mother's womb and was able to sense Jesus, who was in his Mother's womb.  Jesus comes to our very selves, yet we seem to be unaware that he is with us.  ~Bishop Jacques-Benigne Bossuet
Dear St. John the Baptist, make me aware!  Make me aware that Jesus is truly with me!.  And help me to live as you did, gratefully proclaiming His mercy and glory to all.  Amen.  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment