Friday, January 22, 2016

Salvation Through Forgiveness of Our Sins



Many sorrows has the wicked,
but loving mercy surrounds one who trusts in the Lord.
~Psalm 32(31):10

I am meditating.  I am thinking of what I have come to think of as fundamental to our search for peace, for non-violence.  A flood of water (and Christ is living water) washes out sins -- all manner of filth, degradation, fear, horror.  He is also the Word.  And studying the New Testament, and its commentators, I have come in this my seventy-sixth year, to think of a few holy words of Jesus as the greatest comfort of my life:  "Judge not.... Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.... Forgive seventy times seven times."  All words of our Lord and Savior.  "I have knowledge of salvation through forgiveness of my sins," Zechariah sang in his canticle (Luke 1:68-79).

...The teaching of Christ, the Word, must be upheld.  Held up though one would think that it is completely beyond us -- out of our reach, impossible to follow.  I believe Christ is our Truth and is with us always.  We may stretch towards it, falling show, falling seventy times seven, but forgiveness is always there.  He is a kind and loving judge....

~Dorothy Day


But I have trusted in thy mercy.
My heart shall rejoice in thy salvation:
I will sing to the Lord, who giveth me good things:
yea I will sing to the name of the Lord the most high.
~Psalm 13(12):6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment