Monday, November 23, 2015

Cranberry Chutney with Curry



Ave Maria!  I was going to say that on a more mundane level I am sharing this recipe for curried cranberry chutney, but this concoction is near sublime.  I found this recipe about 30 years ago when I was living in Washington, DC but cannot recall exactly what publication it was in.  Whatever, it really is very good and quite easy to make.  Paired with cream cheese on good crackers or French bread, it makes a scrumptious appetizer.  I am particularly fond of spreading it atop a grilled cheese sandwich.  Mmmm good!  Tomorrow I will post my recipe for cranberry-blueberry chutney.  Enjoy!


CRANBERRY CHUTNEY -- makes about 3 cups; keeps in refrigerator 1-2 months

Ingredients
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1 and 1/2 cups water
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger 
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce


Directions

Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a large non-aluminum saucepan over high heat.  Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Rinse cranberries and add to pan; cook until skins begin to pop, about 5 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients to pan and cook for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally, or until the mixture begins to thicken.

Ladle chutney into container(s) and refrigerate until ready to use.
  
NOTES:  Rather than grate the fresh ginger, I prefer to mince it finely.  I like nuts in chutney, so sometimes I stir a cup of walnuts into the chutney when it’s done cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment