Friday, January 31, 2014

"Do not be afraid to suffer..."

While spending time painting in the area of Italy known as Tuscany, I became accustomed to seeing grape vines growing on the hillsides.  The older gnarled vines were beautiful to sketch because of their knotty twists and bends.  Over the course of time, the winds, rains and sun -- the weathering effects of the seasons -- had forced their shapes.  The most luscious growth came from these rugged old vines...grapes so heavy and bountiful they seemed to invite people to pick them.

In another vineyard were young plants which had suffered no ill effects of nature at all.  They offered no particular beauty or character and were hardly worthy of my pencil or paintbrush.

As it is in nature, so it is in God's kingdom.  From the winds and rains of adversity comes abundant growth and a beautiful life worth painting.

Do not be afraid to suffer....  It is from being shaken apart and not being destroyed that one becomes strong and courageous.

~Laura Lewis Lanier, All Things Bright and Beautiful


In this is my Father glorified;
that you bring forth very much fruit,
and become my disciples.
~John 15:8

My sweet Jesus, I rejoice in so far as I share Your sufferings, that I may also rejoice and be glad when Your glory is revealed.  Amen.  (cf. 1 Peter 4:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment