Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Prayer of a Devout Lover of God

My Lord God, it is my desire, in union with all Your saints and creatures, devoutly to praise, bless, and glorify You at all times and in all places and always to love You with a pure heart.  Because You are my God and I am Your poor servant, I forever desire to magnify and exalt Your holy name above all Your works.

You, my God, are my light and my hope, my strength and my patience, my praise and my glory.  You, my God, are my wisdom and prudence, my beauty and sweetness!  My God, You are my music and harp, my timbrel and organ, my psalm and hymn, my song and jubilation!  My God, You are my helmet and breastplate, my bow and sword!  You, my God, are my treasure and capital, my gold and silver, payment for all my debts!

You, my God, are my home, fortress, and palace, my shield and banner!  My God, You are my fortified tower and my life's defense!  My God, You are my garden and orchard, my greenhouse and cool retreat!  You, my God, are my dining hall and table, my food and drink!  All food not prepared or cooked by You is tasteless.  My God, You are my cinnamon and sweet balsam, my spikenard, choice myrrh, and precious ointment!  You are my rose and lily, my wreath and garland.  My God, You are my couch and bed, my blanket and covering.  My God, You are my light and lamp, my candelabra and constellation!  My God, You are my book, interiorly and exteriorly written, my Bible in which is all of Holy Scripture!  My God, You are my teacher, instructor, and adviser, my physician and pharmacist.

Thanks to Your mercy and generosity, I find and have all things in You, and whatever I may seek and desire that is not You I recognize as being of no benefit and of little worth. Open my heart to Your holy law, and "restore to me the joy of Your salvation" (Psalm 51:12); expand my heart that I may follow in Your way; confirm me in Your words, for there is no other who can help, nor is there anyone, other than You, who can lead me to eternal life.  Hear me, my God, when I cry to You -- in affliction, in joy, or in health.  I commend myself to you at all times, and I bless You forever.  Amen.

~Thomas à Kempis, The Valley of Lilies, #28

No comments:

Post a Comment