Tuesday, August 13, 2013

"Life is a splendid gift."

But by the grace of God, I am what I am; and his grace in me hath not been void, but I have labored more abundantly than all they: yet not I, but the grace of God with me.  ~1 Corinthians 15:10

Ave Maria! Christian Quotation of the Day
, a treasure trove of "the thoughts and writings of saints and sinner throughout history," notes that today is the commemoration of Florence Nightingale

This amazing woman, one of my heroines from grade school on, was a social reformer and statistician, a writer described as "prodigious and versatile"and the founder of modern nursing.  In her honor, today I post a few quotes from her many writings.  Needless to say, the Web is chock-full of articles about Florence Nightingale, including a copy of her obituary from the New York Times dated August 15, 1910, which you can read here
 

"If I could give you information of my life it would be to show how a woman of very ordinary ability has been led by God in strange and unaccustomed paths to do in His service what He has done in her. And if I could tell you all, you would see how God has done all, and I nothing. I have worked hard, very hard, that is all; and I have never refused God anything."

"So never lose an opportunity of urging a practical beginning, however small, for it is wonderful how often in such matters the mustard-seed germinates and roots itself."

"Live life when you have it. Life is a splendid gift -- there is nothing small about it."

"Rather, ten times, die in the surf, heralding the way to a new world, than stand idly on the shore."

Dear Lord, today I will strive to live my life to the full!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment