Sunday, July 29, 2012

Oh, glory!

This is our glorious duty:  to pray and to love.  ~St. John Vianney

Ave Maria!  What a terrific reminder of what it's all about! 

We have a duty, yes, and ah, such a glorious one!   "For it is the God who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness," who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." (2 Cor 4:6)

First, glorious because God Himself  has given it to us. "Then he told them...to pray always without becoming weary." (Lk 18:1)  "Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world." (John 17:24)

Second, glorious because to pray and to love is truly splendid, exalted work.  "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love." (John 15:9)

Third, glorious because by faithfully doing these things day in and day out, we share in the life of our Lord Jesus.  "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love." (John 15:10)  Little by little, we become more like Him as His Spirit transforms us "into His likeness from one degree of glory to another." (2 Cor 3:18). 

Oh my Jesus, King of Glory, what a grand and glorious day this will be if I but surrender myself to YOU!  Amen!   Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment