Monday, July 9, 2012

True Power and Strength

...but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.  Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.  ~2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Ave Maria!  The world may indeed be a mess these days -- but hasn't this always been the case?  History repeats itself.  We keep making the same mistakes.  We take one step forward, then two backward.  I speak not just of the global world but also of my own little world, especially the inner world of my soul where daily the war between good and evil is waged and I must either fight valiantly or be vanquished.  No one escapes this fierce battle without a few wounds, and God forbid that we should ever stop to lick them. 

And yet, we have hope -- enormous, indisputable HOPE!  We can do everything in Him who strengthens us (Phil 4:1), St. Paul reminds us, adding that in all these things we are conquerors because of HIM who loves us (Romans 8:37).  Our hope is not in ourselves but in our Lord, whose power dwells within us -- and His power is made perfect in weakness (2 Cor 12:9).  I don't really understand this, but I do believe it because I believe in God and in His saving Word:  "when I am weak, I am strong!"  Deo gratias!

Dear Lord, let me always happily boast of my weakness that I may be strong in the glorious power of Your life, death and resurrection.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment