Friday, November 18, 2011

The Seven Last Words

Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for edifying, as fits the occasion, that it may impart grace to those who hear.
~Ephesians 4:29

Ave Maria! As I contemplated the above exhortation from St. Paul, which was part of today's Scripture reading in Morning Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours, the words of Christ on the cross came to mind. Every word that our Lord spoke to us while He was on this earth is worthy of our devout attention and serious reflection, but these final words or phrases from our crucified Savior dying on the Cross have always been a special source of prayer and meditation for men and women throughout the ages.  Myriad sermons have been preached on Jesus' last testament, scores of music have been composed, countless artistic works rendered, and numerous articles and books have been written.  They are seven, these parting words from the Word Himself:
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. ~Luke 23:34

Amen I say to thee: This day you will be with me in paradise. ~Luke 23:43

Woman, behold your son...Behold your mother. ~John 19:26-27

My God, My God, why have You forsaken me? ~Matthew 27:46

I thirst. ~John 19:28

It is finished. ~John 19:30

Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit. ~Luke 23:46
Did St. Paul recall these words of our Master when he instructed the Ephesians to speak only that which would "impart grace to those who hear"?  Surely these words of Jesus bestow grace in abundant measure for He, Word made flesh and splendor of the Father, is Himself grace and truth (see Jn 1:14).  Seven last words -- somewhat like the seven sacraments, effecting a new creation here and now with the promise of infinitely more to come in eternity.  Seven last words -- signs and symbols of forgiveness, hope, compassion, abandonment to the Father, longing for Him, confidence in Him, surrender to Him.  Precious and pure words -- without alloy, the Psalmist says, as silver tried by fire, purged from the earth and refined seven times (see Ps 12:8).   Self-emptying words leading through death to life.  Humble words, holy words, heart-breaking words for who can truly hear them and not have her heart pierced by the two-edged sword of Unutterable Love (see Heb 4:12)?  Yes, as St. Paul counseled, edifying words, fitting words, grace-imparting words -- words that are spirit and life!  What kind of words will I speak this day?  The choice is mine, as always.

Dear Jesus, whose word I praise (Ps 56:5), may I make Your words my own.  May they be my heritage for ever, the joy of my heart always (Ps 119:111).  Only then will the spoken words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart be pleasing and acceptable to You and bring grace to all.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment