Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Another parade chaser...

So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way.  ~Luke 19:4

Ave Maria!  In today's gospel (Luke 19:1-10), we meet up with Zaccheus.  Ah, another parade chaser!  And a most resourceful one at that!  He wanted to see the Lord, who intended to come through the town, but, being of short stature, this view was blocked by the crowd.  Unwilling to let his limitations get in his way, Zaccheus ingeniously took action, running ahead and climbing a sycamore tree, "in order to see Jesus, who was about to pass that way."  Not only did the Lord see him, He also called Zaccheus by name and told him to come down immediately for He was going to stay at his house.  "And he came down quickly and received him with joy."

What am I willing to do to see Jesus?  How inventive will I be today in seeking Him out?  And how zealous to receive Him when He arrives and calls me by name?  May the song of the psalmist be mine:  "My heart is ready, O Lord; my heart is ready" (Psalm 57:7)

Dear Lord Jesus, whom I long to see, please make me adroit in seeking You and eager in welcoming You, always and everywhere.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment