Saturday, February 5, 2011

Rest a while...

"Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while." ~Mark 6:31

Birds have nests in trees and can retire to them when need arises and stags have bushes and thickets where they take cover, hide, and enjoy the cool shade during the summer. So also, Philothea, our hearts should each day pick and choose some place, either on Mount Calvary or within our Lord's wounds or in some other place near him, as a retreat where they can retire at various times to refresh and restore themselves during their exterior occupation. There, as in a stronghold, they can defend themselves against temptation. Blessed will be the soul that can truly say to our Lord: "You are my strength and my stronghold to give me safety, my roof against the rain, my shade against the heat" (see Psalm 31:3-5). ~St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to the Devout Life (Bk 2, Ch 12)

You are my hiding place, O Lord. ~Psalm 32:7
Within Thy wounds, hide me.

No comments:

Post a Comment