Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Despise no one

Stand fast, therefore, in this conduct and follow the example of the Lord, “firm and unchangeable in faith, lovers of the brotherhood, loving each other, united in truth,” helping each other with the mildness of the Lord, despising no one. ~St. Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna, 2nd century

Ave Maria! The above from St. Polycarp, whose feast we celebrate today, is today's "Quiet Moment" from Catholic Digest (scroll halfway down the page to see where you can sign up to receive these gems of beauty and inspiration daily). What tugged at my heart were the last three words admonishing us to despise no one. "Oh, I don't do that," I immediately thought. Oh really? Think again, my girl! How about when I disdainfully judge and then dismiss individuals as being thoughtless, self-absorbed, or insensitive ... or shallow, boring, or clueless ... or uncaring, unhelpful, or uninterested? The word despise comes from the Latin despicere, which means "to look down. " Oh yes, I am guilty as charged! I can and sometimes do despise individuals whom our Father has made in His image and likeness, especially when I focus only on what annoys or perplexes me.

Today's first reading from Sirach 4:11-19 is a song of praise for Wisdom, who "exalts her sons and gives help to those who seek her," who gladdens those who serve her well and reveals to them her secrets. "Whoever holds her fast will obtain glory, and the Lord will bless the place she enters. Those who serve her will minister to the Holy One; the Lord loves those who love her." Today I humbly beg for the gift of Wisdom, that I may despise no one and love everyone "with the mildness of the Lord."

Mary, Our Lady of Wisdom, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment