Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Today's Saint: John of the Cross

Ave Maria! Today we remember St. John of the Cross, Spanish mystic, Carmelite friar and priest, poet and artist, and doctor of the church. He's probably best known for the term "the dark night of the soul." The austerity of his life and soul were surpassed only by his ardent love for Jesus Christ, whose cross he gladly made his own. As always, cyberspace is full of excellent resources about today's saint, such as here, here, here, here, and here. At the end of this page here is a succinct explanation of St. John's theology by Fr. Jordan Aumann, O.P. , taken from his book Christian Spirituality in the Christian Tradition.

(Wow! Dear God, may I please stay home all day today to read, reflect and pray?)

My own reading of the works of St. John of the Cross has been sporadic over the years. Frankly, the guy terrifies me. He was such a denuded soul! And I am so not there yet -- and probably never will be. Bits and pieces of his writings remain firmly lodged in my heart and periodically remind me that God alone matters. According to this wise and holy man, I must persistently and vigorously do everything I humanly can to become ever more firmly attached to HIM who is all LOVE. This means detaching myself from everything that is NOT Him, even that which is good and dear to me.

The soul that is attached to anything, however much good there may be in it, will not arrive at the liberty of divine union. For whether it be a strong wire rope or a slender and delicate thread that holds the bird, it matters not, if it really holds it fast; for, until the cord be broken the bird cannot fly.

Today I ask St. John to help me break the gossamer that holds me captive so that I can soar above myself to the Living Flame of Love, who desires to consume me for Himself alone.


Mary, Virgin of Advent, with you may I be attached only to your Son.
P.S. The saying on the scroll in the above icon of St. John of the Cross reads: "The light of faith will be my guide."

No comments:

Post a Comment