Saturday, November 20, 2010

What's Cooking?

Ave Maria! This time of year, my kitchen is bursting with cranberries. I may be living in Texas, but my heart is still in New England, where I was born and where cranberries abound. My all-time favorite cranberry recipe is this one for cranberry chutney that I came across in the Washington Post some 20 years ago. I've collected and tried many more recipes for cranberry chutney since then, but I always come back to this one. It calls for grated ginger, but I've never had any luck with grating it so I just mince it very finely. This time around I'm going to use brown sugar because I read yesterday on the Web a suggestion to "Substitute brown sugar (preferably dark) in any cranberry sauce recipe that calls for white (granulated) sugar. Brown sugar will deepen the sauce's flavor and color." Sounds good to me! Time to hit the kitchen!


CRANBERRY CHUTNEY

Ingredients
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1 and 1/2 cups water
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
2 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce


Directions
Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a large non-aluminum saucepan over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Rinse cranberries and add to pan; cook until skins begin to pop, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to pan and cook for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally, or until the mixture begins to thicken. Ladle chutney into sterilized jars, and refrigerate until ready to use. Keeps for a couple weeks in the refrigerator, 3 months or so in freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment