Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Somebody's knocking at my door...

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will enter his house and dine with him,and he with me. ~Rv 3:20
Ave Maria! The above verse from today's first reading (Rv 3:1-6, 14-22) always makes me think of what Julian of Norwich calls the courtesy of God. That is another post for another time. This morning it's enough for me to marvel at how courteously our dear Lord comes to me with such gentleness and sensitivity, never forcing Himself upon me, simply making known His presence and patiently waiting for me to respond or not.

And if I do invite Him in when He knocks on the door of my heart, oh, what immeasurable joy is mine! He has prepared a banquet for me, and how He longs to share it with me! He will feed me with the finest of wheat, and with honey from the rock he will satisfy me, if I but open wide my mouth so He may fill it (Ps 81:10, 16). Then my cup will runneth over, and goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life as I dwell with Him forever (Ps 23:6).

I have to go now. Somebody's knocking at my door. I don't want to miss Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment