Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Holy Father on the Beatitudes

Jesus says: Blessed are the poor in spirit, blessed those who mourn, the meek; blessed those who hunger and thirst for justice, the merciful; blessed the pure in heart, the peacemakers, the persecuted for the sake of justice (cf. Mt 5: 3-10).

In truth, the blessed par excellence is only Jesus. He is, in fact, the true poor in spirit, the one afflicted, the meek one, the one hungering and thirsting for justice, the merciful, the pure of heart, the peacemaker. He is the one persecuted for the sake of justice.

The Beatitudes show us the spiritual features of Jesus and thus express his mystery, the mystery of his death and Resurrection, of his passion and of the joy of his resurrection. This mystery, which is the mystery of true blessedness, invites us to follow Jesus and thus to walk toward it.

To the extent that we accept his proposal and set out to follow him -- each one in his own circumstances - we too can participate in his blessedness. With him, the impossible becomes possible and even a camel can pass through the eye of a needle (cf. Mk 10: 25); with his help, only with his help, can we become perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect (cf. Mt 5: 48).

~Pope Benedict XVI, 11/1/06

I say to the Lord...my happiness lies in you alone...it is you yourself who are my prize. The lot marked out for me is my delight; welcome indeed the heritage that falls to me!...so my heart rejoices, my soul is glad...you will show me the path of life, the fullness of joy in your presence, at your right hand happiness for ever. ~Psalm 15 (Grail translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment