Monday, December 14, 2009

St. Lucy

Yesterday, December 13, was the feast of St. Lucy, a young Christian martyr who lived in Cicily in the fourth century and was known for her love and kindness.. Santa Lucia's name comes from the Latin noun "lux," meaning "light," and so she is remembered on this day with a procession and ceremony of lights. When I was in high school in Washington, DC back in the sixties, I learned all about St. Lucy's Day from my dear friend Karen Healy, who invited me to go with her and her family to their Lutheran church for this special occasion. The year that Karen herself walked down the aisle as "the Lucy queen" was the most thrilling one of all for me. I marveled that she was so calm and steady with that crown of candles blazing away atop her head. Her smile lit up the darkness of the church more than those long tapers did, and the joy glowing on her face outshone their radiance.

Karen and I have been separated by many miles for many years (she now lives in Cincinnati and I in Houston), but our hearts remained united in that enduring love and friendship which surpass time and space. Last weekend she shared with me this lovely reflection that she gave at her church on this blessed season of Advent. Thank you, Karen, dear friend and Spirit sister, for sharing with us your joy, hope and love!


THE QUILT

As I reflect on what Advent means to me, I find myself looking at a wondrous patchwork quilt of images. Lovely colored squares one overlapping another, some worn and torn, some bright and new, with the remaining squares yet to be added and the edges bound…

My experience of Advent is so richly formed by my youngest years as part of a Scandinavian Lutheran church in Washington, D.C. These earliest memories form the stitches which hold my quilt together. The season brought butterflies and dancing to my tummy and all of my senses reveled--in the enticing kitchen aromas of my Granny’s German clove cookies and rot grut mit fleude -- fresh raspberry pudding with whipped cream -- and in the sounds – "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" and bells ringing on street corners -- and in the sights -- candles at night for it was our church celebration of St. Lucia Day and I was chosen to be St. Lucia with the crown of candles on my head and singing the song which honored the young girl who brought treats to the Christians in hiding: “Santa Lucia usclara hegring sprid i vart merke hurst glans av den fegring.” We created our own Advent wreath at home with greens from the back yard and lit the candle of the week every night before dinner -- it was
always exciting to get to the pink candle of JOY which represented Laudate Sunday -- that meant that the Baby Jesus AND Santa would soon be coming. It was a time of JOYOUS PREPARATION

The years of raising a young family with my husband Tom brought amazing color and richness to my quilt, and some tears and tears as well…the challenge of trying to figure out what it means to be both individual and family, suffering five miscarriages, and celebrating the gift of four miraculous little Healys. Being pregnant during Advent always connected me so closely to Mary as she carried her baby in hope and wondering … who will this amazing miracle become…how can I both protect and guide this little one and then one day let go? It was a time PREGNANT WITH HOPE

Recent years have brought more questions and doubts about who I am and who that long ago and far away Jesus is for me. I am currently in the process of coming to terms with my own Jewish background which I have only learned about in the last few years. The work has continued on the quilt, yet there are knots and threads have been pulled too tight. I have taken too little time to be still and reflect…and as I do that now it comes to me that perhaps instead of looking outward for Jesus, that Baby is being birthed IN me and that I am being held and tenderly swaddled in that warm, soft quilt. It is a time of the FULLNESS OF LOVE

The Season of Advent -- it is Joy it is Hope it is Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment