Sunday, November 22, 2009

Today's Solemnity: Christ the King

How fitting it is that this last Sunday of Ordinary Time is the Solemnity of Christ the King! As the church year ends, we look to Him who lives and reigns forever...

...Jesus Christ, the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God (1 Tim 1:17)

...the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, who alone has immortality and dwells in unapproachable light (1 Tim 6:15-16)

...the crucified King who calls us by name and who longs for our beauty and our homage (Ps 45:12)

...whose dominion is an everlasting dominion that shall not be taken away, whose kingship shall not be destroyed (Dan 7:14)

...whose kingdom does not belong to this world (Jn 18:36), "an eternal and universal kingdom: a kingdom of truth and life, of holiness and grace, of justice, love, and peace" (Preface of Christ the King)

...who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and who has made us into a kingdom, priests for his God and Father (Rev 1:5-6)

...Jesus Christ, the King of love and mercy! the same yesterday, today and forever (Heb 13:8)!

I turn to you, my own Jesus, King of happiness and eternal glory, and I embrace you with all the strength of my soul. I adore you with my whole heart. I choose you to be my King now and forever. By this inviolable act of fidelity I pay you irrevocable homage. I submit myself to your holy laws and ordinances.

~St. Francis de Sales in Introduction to the Devout Life, Book 1, Chapter 18

No comments:

Post a Comment