Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Presentation of Mary, continued


This painting, "The Presentation of Mary in the Temple" by Paolo Uccello, Italian early renaissance painter, has been the object of my prayer and contemplation since this past Saturday's memorial of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This beautiful depiction of Our Lady's presentation to God in the temple is full of poignant details, such as the two small girls at the bottom of the stairs waving farewell and the chief priest at the top of the steps welcoming Mary with open arms (I am reminded of the last line of Alice Meynell's poem "Renouncement": "I run, I run, I am gathered to thy heart").

What totally captivates me, however, is Mary herself. As her dress flows behind her, she appears to be scampering upward to her divine destination, eager and glad to give herself to God alone. "Be jubilant, my feet!" With the heart of a child who trusts totally in her loving Father, Our Lady gladly goes in haste to do His will. Was she remembering the words of the Psalmist, "I will run the way of your commands, for you open my docile heart" (Ps 119:32)? Mary seems to have already grasped what St. Francis de Sales describes as "true devotion," which is simply "true love" – the "constant, resolute, prompt and active will to do whatever we know is pleasing to God" (Introduction to the Devout Life, Bk 4, Ch 2).

Later, much later, Our Lady of Sorrows will take another upward path -- the long, lonely road to the foot of the Cross, where she will kneel in anguish and grief to receive the crucified body of her Beloved Son. Then, her feet will not be jubilant nor will they scamper, but she will still pray, as did Jesus, "My heart is steadfast, O God; my heart is steadfast" (Ps 108:2). Even then -- especially then! -- as she did throughout her entire lifetime, she will persevere, she will trust, she will love.

O Mary, full of grace, help us to wholeheartedly give ourselves to God. May we always say to Him, as you did, "To do your will is my delight" (Ps 40:9). Amen.

1 comment:

  1. She is Holy,She is Found favor with God,She is known God s will very well "I salute Mary ,
    "...And Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity. And We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit. She testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants)" (66:12).Al-Quran
    Hail Mary Full of Grace The Lord with you!(Luke1:28)

    ReplyDelete