Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Lord Takes Delight in His People, part 1

The refrain for today's responsorial psalm, which is the fourth verse of Psalm 149, always astonishes me. The Lord takes delight in his people! "Who, me?" I marvel somewhat disbelievingly. And I hear Him say ... "yes, you ... you who are my child, my sister, my bride, my mother ... I delight in you ... in the womb, before the daystar, I have begotten you ... I fashioned you out of nothingness, I created you in my own image and likeness, upon you my favor rests ... I have called you by name, I have loved you with an everlasting love, you are mine ... at my birth, I lay aside my glory to make my home with you … on the cross, I shed my blood for you that you might live forever ... in the resurrection, I returned to the Father to prepare a place for you … you, all for you, my dear one and only, for you are the love and joy of my heart! … I am your Jesus, and yes, I take delight in you." Ah, my dear Lord, truly I am "lost, all lost in wonder at the God thou art"!

No comments:

Post a Comment