Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Feast Day of St. Teresa of Avila


"Untilled ground, however rich, will bring forth thistles and thorns; so, also, the mind of man."  ~St. Teresa of Avila

"But if it bears thistles and thorns, it is worthless and near to being cursed; its end is to be burned."  ~Hebrews 6:8

Ave Maria!  Today is a day dear to my heart because it is the wedding anniversary of my beloved parents, Gladys Julia Yurkevicz and Richard Joseph Mansfield. Every day I thank God for Mummie and Daddy, rejoicing anew in the love they had for Our Lord and His Blessed Mother, for each other, and especially for my sweet sister Annie and me. We are here because of them, we are who we are because of them, and it is very good indeed! Amen!  Alleluia!

Today is also the feast day of St. Teresa of Avila, or St. Teresa of Jesus, March 28, 1515–October 4, 1582, Spanish mystic, Roman Catholic saint, Carmelite nun, an author of the Counter Reformation, and a theologian of contemplative life through mental prayer. Whew! And all this from a woman whose spiritual mediocrity lasted for 17 years! Around the age of forty, St. Teresa experienced a conversion and began to conform her life to God. From that point on, she was a passionate, formidable force of love in the Church and the world, and her life still bears fruit today. She gives me much hope as I keep striving to rise above my own spiritual mediocrity and to become all that God is calling me to be. Deo gratias!

Dear St. Teresa, help me to clear out the thistles and thorns in my heart and mind, to conform myself to our Lord Jesus, to become more and more all His. Amen!

"Be transformed by the renewal of your mind."  ~Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment