Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"Rough Seas"

 Ave Maria!  Last month when sweet cat Queenie was slowly but surely declining, my dear sister Annie sent me this beautiful card.  The artist Rebekah Raye painted it, calling it "Rough Seas."  How appropriate!  Queenie was definitely traversing some very rough seas those days as her earthly life came to a close.  It was a bit rough for me, too, as I let her go after our 11 amazing years together.  I put this card on my prayer altar where I could see it often and be reminded of the sure refuge our Father unfailingly offers us in His steadfast love.

He will conceal you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge. ~Psalm 91:4

How precious is your mercy, O God!  The children of men seek shelter in the shadow of your wings.  ~Psalm 36:8

Protect me under the shadow of your wings.  ~Psalm 17:8

As Queenie came to me for comfort and strength throughout her life, particularly during her last few days, so do I turn to my Father, especially when I am weak and dismayed, confident that He will keep me safe as I take refuge in Him (Ps 16:1).

Lead me to the rock that is higher than I; for you are my refuge.  ~Psalm 61:2


2 comments:

  1. Dear Friend in Christ:

    I discovered your blog this week and want to thank you for sharing your betrothal to Our Lord with the wider world in this way. I was delighted to learn from you that November 21st is not only the Feast of the Presentation of the Virgin (the eve of which is my birthday) but also, now, Pro Orantibus Day. Like the wonderful Catholic writer Barbara Grizzuti Harrison, I often think of the cloistered Carmelite nuns who are praying for me and the rest of our sinful world during those early morning hours when sleep is elusive. Now I have a day in which to join the rest of the Catholic world in prayerful thanksgiving for their sacrifice.

    I'm sorry to see that you just lost your cherished pet Queenie. As a fellow pet owner I understand how deep the bonds between people and animals can be (is it an accident that they are named after the Latin word for soul, anima?)The last pet I lost was my dog Rama who died just before 9/11. I happened to attend a memorial Mass for a firefighter who died that day from my parish, and our priest in his homily said something very wise that consoled me then, and that has always stayed with me. Death, he said, opens up an absence that is experienced as a wound, and it is meaningless to say that God fills this absence--- rather he leaves it open in order to preserve the communion we enjoyed with our loved one, even at the cost of pain.
    I hope that might have meaning for you, too, as you mourn the loss of such a faithful companion.

    yours in the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary,
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Christopher, for your beautiful and consoling message. The words from your priest have comforted me in the loss of my sweet Queenie -- and they are also a comfort to me when I think of many beloved relatives and friends who are no longer on this earth. Blessed be the Lord who comforts us with His peace which surpasses all understanding! And blessed be Jesus and Mary, now and forever! Alice Claire

      Delete