Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Busy day?

Lord, temper with tranquility
Our manifold activity,
That we may do our work for thee
With very great simplicity.

~Ascribed to a 17th-century medieval monk

Ave Maria!  What a terrific little prayer for a very busy day!  It's a good one for me on any day, particularly when I'm feeling harried and overwhelmed.  I'm a bit amused that this was written in the 17th century.  I mean, how busy could people have been back then, especially in a monastery?  On the other hand, precisely because they didn't have our current labor-saving devices, they were undoubtedly swamped with chores at times.  But imagine, no interruptions from the various and sundry electronic devices that beckon us around the clock unless -- gasp! -- we dare to turn them off and deliberately opt to live instead "with very great simplicity."

Dear Lord, today and always, keep me tranquil and simple in You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment