Friday, January 21, 2011

Discipleship

And Jesus went up on the mountain, and called to him those whom he desired; and they came to him. ~Mark 3:13

…now Jesus ascends "the mountain," which signifies the place of his communion with God – the place on the heights, above the works and deeds of everyday life…. The calling of the disciples is a prayer event; it is as if they were begotten in prayer, in intimacy with the Father. The calling of the Twelve, far from being purely functional, takes on a deeply theological meaning. Their calling emerges from the Son's dialogue with the Father and is anchored there… "Jesus called to him those whom he desired." You cannot make yourself a disciple – it is an event of election, a free decision of the Lord's will, which in turn is anchored in his communion of will with the Father.

Pope Benedict XVI in Jesus of Nazareth, p170
Dear Lord, with infinite love you have desired me and called me, saying to me from your "communion of will with the Father": "I have called you by name: you are mine … you are precious in my eyes and glorious … I love you … you are my witness, my servant whom I have chosen … you, whom I formed for myself, that you might announce my praise" (Isaiah 43). Domine, non sum dignus … Lord, I am not worthy! But may my unworthiness, inadequacies and fears never keep me from saying "YES!" to you as fully as I can so that I may proclaim your praise all the days of my life! Amen! Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment