Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Olive Tree

Today at Mass we sing with the psalmist "But I am like a growing olive tree in the house of God. I trust in the goodness of God for ever and ever" (Grail Psalter translation). This verse from Psalm 52 is a favorite and frequent song of mine. It resounded in my heart recently during confession when my spiritual father mentioned the olive tree as he counseled me to continue striving for patience. This tree, he told me, grows extremely slowly and bears fruit only after many years. Despite the imperceptible growth of the olive tree, one continues to cultivate it, knowing that in due time it will be fruitful. Likewise with patience, I must keep developing this little virtue, nurturing it over and over again, particularly when I feel most impatient.

Patience is an olive tree, and so I am. I grow in slow and unperceivable ways, known to the Divine Gardener alone. All the while, I trust in His goodness and mercy, confident that He who has begun this good work in me while bring it to fulfillment.

"I will thank you for evermore; for this is your doing. I will proclaim that your name is good, in the presence of your friends." Ps 52:11

P.S. The olive tree in the above picture is approximately 1,500 years old. I hope it doesn't take me that long to bear fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment