Friday, August 28, 2015

"Peace is His word to us all."


"When it was late and the disciples were gathered together, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them:  Peace be to you."  Peace is His word to each and to all.  Peace, His peace, in the midst of the world's rush and excitement and unrest: in the midst of its business, and its gaieties, its dangers and cares.

Peace amid the storm of persecution, the heart-sinking at failure, the monotony of well-doing, and watching and waiting for better things.

Peace in the harder trials of life, the coldness of the nearest, the peril of the dearest.

Peace in the struggle with self -– sharp, daily, unrelenting.  In the struggle with God Himself; in the weary search for Him who hides; in the separation from Him who seems to have forsaken.

Peace is His word to us all.  Peace, like the rays of His monstrance, radiates from Him on every side.  How could it be otherwise when He himself is in our midst.  "It is I, fear not.  It is I Myself.  Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth do I give unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled nor let it be afraid (John 14).  If the world hates you, know that it hath hated Me before you… The servant is not greater than his Master (John 15).  In the world you shall have distress, but have confidence, I have overcome the world… You will indeed have sorrow, but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man shall take from you" (John 16).

~Mother Mary Loyola in Hail! Full of Grace
First published 9012; reprinted 2011 by St. Augustine Academy Press

In Your peace, O Lord, I take my rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment