Tuesday, November 12, 2013

“We see faith, love rising from the ruins”

Ave Maria!  The above words were spoken today in an interview with Cardinal Luis Tagle of Manila, which was just posted on Vatican Radio.  You can read more here on Catholic News Service's blog.  The article just beneath this one carries an updated list of Catholic aid agencies that would be grateful for our donations to help the many Filipinos affected by Typhoon Haiyan.  I had a box in the right margin with this info, but I managed to accidentally delete it and haven't had a chance to reconstruct it.  I'll do this later today or tomorrow plus add to it as I learn more.

You can also go here to listen to the interview with Cardinal Tagle as well as here to listen to another broadcast.  As of today, the United Nations estimates 11 million people have been affected by Typhoon Haiyan.  My mind fails me...all I can do is pray, pray, and pray some more.  Mostly I keep murmuring over and over, "Lord, have mercy!" or "Jesus, mercy!"  What more, what better could I possibly pray?  After all, those words come directly from Scripture, the most powerful and heart-rending prayers ever uttered.  And so, as always, I turn to the Psalms...
Awake, O Lord!  Why do you sleep?  Arise, do not reject us forever.  Why do you hide your face, and forget our oppression and misery?  For our soul is brought low to the dust; our body lies prostrate on the earth.  Stand up and come to our help!  Redeem us with your merciful love!  ~Psalm 44(43):24-27
Lord, answer, for your mercy is kind; in your great compassion, turn toward me.  Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in distress.  Come close to my soul and redeem me...  ~Psalm 69(68):17-19
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I cry to you all the day long.  Gladden the soul of your servant, for I lift up my soul to you, O Lord...  In the day of distress, I will call to you, and surely you will answer me.  ~Psalm 86(85):3-4, 7
With all my voice I cry to the Lord; with all my voice I entreat the Lord.  I pour out my trouble before him; I tell him all my distress while my spirit faints within me.  But you, O Lord, know my path.  ~Psalm 142(141):2-4
Yes, You know, dear Lord, You know the path these men, women and children must now walk, the path of utter destruction and unimaginable grief.  Be close to them, Lord.  Hold them and uphold them during these days of pain and sorrow.  Give them relief, healing and hope through the goodness and kindness of those who weep with and care for them.  And mercy, dear Lord, please have mercy...

No comments:

Post a Comment