Monday, October 15, 2012

Feast of St. Teresa of Avila

My God, because you are so good, I love you with all my heart, and for your sake I love my neighbor as myself.  If I love you, it is not just because of heaven which you promised; if I fear to offend you, it is not because hell threatens me.  What draws me to you, O Lord, is yourself alone, it is the sight of you, nailed to the cross for me, your body bruised in the pains of death.  Your love so holds my heart that, if there were no heaven, I would love you still. If there were no hell I would even still fear to offend you. I do not need your gifts to make me love you, for even if I should have no help of hope at all the things I do hope for, I would still love you with that very same love.  Amen.

Prayer written by St. Teresa of Avila, 1515-1582

No comments:

Post a Comment