Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The work that God gives me

Cheered by the presence of God, I will do at each moment, without anxiety, according to the strength that He will give me, the work that His providence assigns me.  I will leave the rest without concern.  It is not my affair.  I ought to consider the duty to which I am called each day as the work that God has given me to do, and to apply myself to it in a manner worthy of His glory, that is to say, with exactness and in peace.  I must neglect nothing.  I must not be violent about anything.  ~Rev. François Fénelon

Ave Maria!  What wisdom there is in these words of Rev. François Fénelon!  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  Furthermore, God does not ask or expect me to do everything, but He does desire that I do the task He gives me in the present moment.  Faithfulness to His will as He reveals it to me moment-by-moment is all that matters.  To do my God-given work "in a manner worthy of His glory" is to share in the saving mission of our Lord Jesus Christ, who came not to be served but to serve.  Ah, what joy!  To leave "the rest without concern" in the hands of our loving Father is to know the peace that surpasses all understanding, the peace that the world cannot give.  How can I keep from singing?

No comments:

Post a Comment